Pages

September 19, 2011

the monday personals | happy 6 months

I cannot believe that Emily Schmidt Photography has officially been on facebook {and "gone public" as I like to joke about} for 6 months today. It seems like an eternity and yet it feels like it just happened yesterday.  The overwhelming flood of love from everybody for my work has touched me so much and I cannot be more appreciative of everyone and all the kind words they have said.

the JOURNEY:
To sit here and think that just six short months ago I was pondering in my head if I should attempt to reach out and see what kind of a response I would get is craziness to me. Would people love my work? Would they love me? Would I be welcomed into this journey with so many absolutely fabulous photographers already in this world and in the Central Wisconsin area that I live? People had been telling me for awhile how much they always loved looking at pictures of my daughter that I took and that they would get excited for when I'd post more. I just figured "Ah, you're family".  But it gave me a bit of a boost of confidence and I decided to go out on a limb and see what happened.  22 sessions, almost 13 more sessions scheduled in the next couple of months, and 7 weddings {second shot} and 4 weddings {booked} of my own later, I am loving this ride. And to have 404 fans already makes me smile over and over and over.  I am sooo truly honored and excited for the future and to grow more and learn all I can. You all truly rock!

pay it FORWARD:
I would not be here if it wasn't for the graciousness of a few highly admired photographers and the guidance, mentoring, wisdom, and open hearts to allow me to learn and observe and assist that has made me grow giant leaps over the last year.

Special shout-out thanks yous to Leanna Gosse and Krystal Muellenberg.  Without these two, I know I wouldn't be sitting here 6 months later thinking "Somebody pinch me. Is this all really happening?!"  I have so much gratitude and love to both of these AMAZING photographers. Leanna gave me a foundation to build upon, taught me the basics of lighting and how elements in photography work together and Krystal allowed me to assist and second shoot with her over the summer when I was still just a newbie and trying to get my feet on the ground. She took a giant risk and I hope I was able to not let her down. These two will forever have a place in my heart. Love you both! xoxo. I also need to thank Rebecca Eby of Studio Noveau for writing a blog post this spring that must have sparked my brain to say "pick up your foot and run". I ended up emailing Rebecca out of the blue thinking "you're an idiot, what are you doing, she probably gets a million emails from wanna-bes on a daily basis." I didn't even ask if I could work with her, I just felt the urge to write and babble about photography. I have NO idea where it came from and I felt like an idiot. But she was so nice when she wrote back and we chatted a bit and I really think a very large part of me getting up the courage to push myself into this world was because of her and that deserves a super big thank you as well. You rock Rebecca!

So I think it's only fair to have a 'pay it forward' approach. In this ugly world of evil competition, why not help others. If they really have the drive and determination and passion, they will succeed with what you may help them with in the beginning.  Even in the middle of their journey or the end, let's all play together.  For me, her name is Ashley. She's great. She contacted me about having me do a little bit of mentoring with her. I repeatedly told her I am in no way an expert on any of this. There is SOOOO much I don't know yet, but I would be more than willing to show her what I know. She posted a few pictures on her personal site and I think they are really great! She has a lot of potential and I was very impressed with the shots. Keep it up Ashley!

ANNOUNCEMENT:
So, I had a big announcement to make today but it's not ready. I've pondered on still announcing it or waiting until it's done. It's something I never expected to have so soon but for some reason always dreamed about it. It's that little girl dreaming about her wedding someday and being a princess thought. For some reason I just always dreamed of this. Even before I started the photography. I feel like this means I had really made it so I jumped in and decided to go for it since my first six months have been so awesome.

So, any guesses?

I cannot thank you {yes, I'm talking to you} enough for all the love for ESP. Those who took a chance on me in the beginning with mentoring, with allowing me into your family to capture them, for all the sessions over the summer: family, kids, maternity, senior, for all the brides + grooms who allowed me to join Krystal for your special day. You all get a GIANT thank you! You will always have a special place in my heart for allowing me to build and grow on this journey that I dream about every night.

Hugs,
Em

2 comments:

  1. Emily you are truely gifted. I am so happy that you took my maternity pictures. You have a wonderful thing going to take advantage of it!! You are an amazing person and I am blessed to know you! Thank you very much! Aleesha and baby Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE your photos and can't wait to have the need for your services!! (crossing my fingers it is soon) :)

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your first name! THANK YOU!